Christmas Decor Dangers

The holiday decorations are going up! Make sure they’re safe for everyone in the house, as these holiday dangers are very harmful to our pets. Avoid the following items all month long to keep you and your family safe and happy.

Sugary Treats
Food and sugary drinks can cause a lot of digestion issues, some more serious than others. For your reference, make sure you keep these treats out of reach to keep the holidays safe and healthy:
Chocolate
Grapes
Raisins
Currants
Blue Cheese
Macadamia Nuts
Garlic
Chives
Onions
Alcohol
Salt Dough(homemade) ornaments

Tree Hazards
There’s nothing more enticing than a Christmas tree all lit up and decorated. Our pets almost can’t contain themselves when they set their sights on it. To eliminate any temptations, we suggest skipping things like tinsel and loosely strung lights. Tinsel can cause choking hazards if ingested. Loosely strung lights are much easier to steal off the tree. A pre-lit tree that is more tightly wound won’t allow for a naughty pet to take off of the tree.

Breakable Decor
If you have a big dog, you’ve likely seen the destruction they cause when they get excited. For example, a tail wagging can knock things off coffee tables or excited jumping that gets out of control. If you have snow globes or nativity scenes on low hanging shelves or table tops, make sure you put them in places that our out of tail’s reach. Broken glass is definitely not wanted during the holidays!

Candles
Another item you should cautiously keep out of reach is candles. For the same reason you don’t want your breakable items sitting down low, you don’t want flames there either. Knocking over a lit candle can cause serious damage.

If you have any questions or concerns this holiday season, make sure you reach out to your vet to make sure you’re doing what’s right for your pets this season. We’re here to answer any questions you have. Contact us today!